Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why is this night different from all other nights?

Last night, I observed my third Passover Seder in Florida. For a third, consecutive year, I found myself leading family, and friends, through this annual tradition of liturgy: observing my favorite Feast of the LORD, acknowledging and appreciating His wonderful redemption story.

Though it is traditionally a man who leads this service, I have taken the role as "head," because in my circle, I have more exposure to these practices and observances, than others. This reality has been received, with great humility and initial insecurity. After all, with only 14 years of knowledge, how could I possibly know enough to teach (let alone lead) such a rich moment, in our calendar year?

And yet, year after year, G-d has proven to be faithful to be the Instructor: the true LEADER of the evening. He has taught me new layers of truth and insight, in my preparation, enriching what I already value about my faith.

The journey has been a delightful one, and as new ideas are already being birthed for the future, I look ahead with great anticipation. I love knowing that "it has only begun."


Blessed are You, Lord our God, Master of the universe,
who has kept us alive and sustained us and enabled us
to reach this time.

No comments: