Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stick it to the Mon...

Are monopolies legal? Last time I checked they weren't - and not that kitchen basics are of real concern in the grand scheme of an economy with a national deficit numbering BILLIONS - but I made an observation today that I'd like to share...

In trying to stock our kitchen and remain budget conscious, my spouse and I have opted to purchase needed "staples" a couple items at a time, tagging them onto our weekly list of groceries. It allows us to build up our storehouse without exhausting our bank account.

This week's addition: Cocoa Powder. Now, I'm almost positive that when I lived in Columbus, Ohio, I was able to buy a generic brand of Cocoa. However, in the last few weeks, I've had trouble finding anything but a name brand. Finally making my bi-monthly run to Wal-Mart, I felt confident that I would be able to feast my eyes on a Great Value version of cocoa. Yet, to my shock and amazement, there was none to be found. Literally, Nestle and Hershey's are the ONLY options available on the shelf. It was the same madness I had found in every other Florida store.

Upon perusal of online grocery stores and after multiple Google searches, I have come to the conclusion - be it true or false - that the less-than-satisfactory chocolate companies in our nation have played a dirty trick on us. Honestly, if their products aren't really even going to taste like something worth spending more on, couldn't they at least provide an opportunity for cheaper brands to have a little competition???

And yet, when all is said and done - because we are TRUE CONSUMERS and therefore respond to Supply and Demand principles - the end of my story is ironically contrary to my opinion:

I BOUGHT NESTLE for $4.00

Darn!

1 comment:

sooprgrll said...

sucka! it's absolutely in the same vein as coffee.